(Image source from: financialexpress.com)
Jharkhand has reported 2,294 confirmed cases as of June 27 and recorded 11 deaths so far. So far, 1695 of the infected patients have been recovered.
The Jharkhand government on Friday announced that it is going to extend lockdown till July 31. With this announcement, Jharkhand becomes the second state in India that has extended the lockdown after West Bengal.
Chief Minister of the state, Hemant Soren had said that the decision was taken after considering the seriousness of the current situation.
The same day, Assam minister Himanta Biswa Sharma announced a total lockdown from June 28 to July 12 to contain the spread of the infection.
The decision by Jharkhand Chief Minister came a day after the government eased the restrictions and allowed e-commerce platforms to sell non-essential goods in addition to the essential ones. The state government also gave permission to reopen stadiums and sports arenas without spectators. It also said that citizens will be allowed to take strolls in open places in the state.
The state has also resumed businesses like garment stores, hardware stores and industrial units. However, places of worship, religious meetings, malls and salons remained closed.
Meanwhile, Jharkhand Chief Minister requested central government for distributing free ration to people for the next since months considering the effects of COVID-19 pandemic.
By Gayatri Yellayi