India’s Covid-19 Tally Reaches 9 Million, Slow Progress Since 1stNovember 20, 2020 12:07
(Image source from: tribuneindia.com)
After the US, India is the second country in the world to record 9 million covid-19 cases. Upside, about 22 days back, the number of covid-19 cases had reached the 8-million mark.
This was the second slowest rise among one million infections in the country. Thus, decreasing the number of cases in recent weeks.
On Thursday, India recorded 46,260 cases, taking the total to 90,03,800. In eight days, this was the highest tally. In 14 days, the day’s death toll at 589 was the highest.
If we compare the number of cases in mid-week September and now, half of the cases have reduced. For cases to increase from 4 million to 5 million, it took almost 11 days.
Even though the cases have reduced drastically, considering November, India is still the second country in with the highest number of covid-19 cases in the world.
India reported 8.2 lakh cases in this month with US having 24.8 lakh cases. Furthermore, France with 7.3 lakh cases, Italy - 2lakh, UK - 4.4 lakh, France - 4.3 lakh, Brazil - 4.3 lakh. Talking of the death toll in India, it was the third highest with 9, 937 cases.
After 10.3lakh tests were conducted, the 46,260 cases came from there. In six days, it was for the first time that the number of cases touched 10 lakhs. With diwali and the weekend, testing in the country had drastically reduced.
- Most states experienced an increase in the number of cases
- Delhi being the highest number reported 7,546 cases with more than 90 deaths for the eighth day.
- Gujarat reported 1340 new cases. This was the highest since October 3rd.
- Maharashtra reported 5,535 cases to its tally to 17,63, 055.
- On Thursday, Kerala was one of the few states having the least number of cases.
By Neha Makhija