(Image source from: onlinebreakingnews.info)
A 6.9-magnitude earthquake has struck Indonesia's resort islands of Bali and Lombok on Sunday, leaving at least 91 people killed and 200 injured.
The figure of victims is anticipated to increase, according to Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, the head of Indonesia's disaster management department.
Hundreds of people have been taken to local hospitals and thousands of homes have been damaged, said Arifin Muhammad Hadi, head of disaster management of the Indonesian Red Cross Society.
The fatal earthquake was 31 kilometers (19 miles) profound and struck close to Loloan on the northern extremity of Lombok. It was likewise felt on Bali to the west.
The earthquake took place in the early evening and was the second powerful temblor on Lombok in a week after a 6.4-magnitude earthquake shook the island on July 29 leaving over a dozen killed and concisely stranding hundreds of hikers on the slopes of a volcano.
The United States Geological Survey somewhat downgraded Sunday's quake after at first calling it 7.0-magnitude. Strong aftershocks ranging from 5.4- to 4.3-magnitude followed the main quake, the USGS (United States Geographical Survey) said.
According to the country's National Disaster Management Agency, Indonesia's Tsunami Early Warning System had issued a tsunami warning after the main quake but it was later lifted.
"All the hotel guests were running, so I did too. People filled the streets," Michelle Lindsay, an Australian tourist on Bali, told Reuters. "A lot of officials were urging people not to panic."
Indonesia's Ministry of Tourism released a statement saying no tourists had been "injured or impacted" by the quake.
The Indonesia Red Cross reported that four of its volunteers were injured and shifted to an infirmary. Red Cross workers moved citizenry to higher land and well-advised people in coastal areas to leave due to tsunami concerns, said agency spokesman Arifin M Hadi.
Flights at the Bali and Lombok airports were continuing.
By Sowmya Sangam