(Image source from: YouTube)
Bhindi (Ladies Finger) Kadhi is a popular and tasty side dish of Punjabi cuisine. Here the Bhindi (Ladies Finger) is cooked in yogurt based gravy. This dish is light, creamy, and also flavorful. This dish is perfect when you have a sudden guest at your home. This dish tastes best when served hot with steamed rice. Let’s follow this recipe.
- 18 to 20 ladies finger (Bhindi)
- 2 sliced onions
- 1 cup curds (dahi)
- 1 cup besan (gram flour)
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste
- 1 tsp green chili paste
- 2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 3 to 4 whole dry Kashmiri red chilies
- 15 to 16 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- Salt to taste
- 3 to 4 tsp oil
- Chopped coriander (dhania) for garnishing
- 1 tsp honey
1. Wash the bhindis in enough water and then dry it and then chop then into small pieces.
2. In a bowl take 1 cup of besan and add very little water and whisk it very nicely and add a little salt and carom seeds and mix the bhindis in this mixture nicely.
3. In a non-stick pan, add oil and shallow fry the bhindis till they are crisp and once done, drain it on a tissue paper and keep it aside.
4. In a bowl, add 1 cup of curd, the ginger garlic paste, the green chili paste, turmeric powder, chili powder, salt and mix it with a hand blender and if the batter is thick and then you can add a little water and whisk it for getting a nice semi liquid proportion and keep it aside.
5. In a pan add oil and then add cumin seeds, hing,dry red chili, onions and fry till the onions are little golden brown.
6. Add curry leaves and fry about 1 minute.
7. Add the prepared curd batter and then add fried bhindis and add 2 to 3 cups of water depending on the thickness of the kadhi.
8. Cover it with a lid and cook it for 10 min and once done, switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves and serve it with rice.
- Meghna Nath