In Seattle, a US judge has issued a temporary nationwide block on President Donald Trump's travel ban from seven major Muslim nations. A Federal Judge, James Robart ruled against the government lawyers' claims that US states did not have the standing to challenge President Donald Trump's executive order.
Last week's order has led to the protests and confusion at US airports. The Justice Department now plans to file a emergency stay on the ruling. The White House in a statement described Mr Trump's directive as "lawful and appropriate".
The statement said that, "The president's order is intended to protect the homeland and he has the constitutional authority and responsibility to protect the American people."
The lawsuit against President Trump's ban was initially filed by the Washington state, and Minnesota joined later.
The Washington State Attorney General Bob Ferguson has described the ban as illegal and unconstitutional, because the ban discriminates against people on the ground of their religion.
The Trump’s administration can also appeal against the verdict. President Donald Trump has argued that his directive is aimed at protecting America.
Trump said that visas would once again be issued once "the most secure policies" were in place, and denied that it was a Muslim ban.
A number of state attorney generals in U.S. have said that, the order is unconstitutional. Several federal judges have temporarily halted the deportation of the visa holders, but the Seattle ruling is the first to be applicable nationwide.
The courts in at least four other states, Virginia, New York, Massachusetts and Michigan are hearing cases challenging the Trump's executive order.
Earlier on Friday, a judge in Boston declined to extend a temporary ban which prohibited the detention or removal of foreigners legally authorised to come to America.
The ban which only applied to Massachusetts is to expire on 5th February.