(Image source from: Metabomb)
While World Health Organization (WHO) has called online gaming an addiction leading to mental health disorder, the thin line between enjoying online games and it turning out to be an addiction is extraordinarily vital and needs to be discussed.
In the time epoch of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, popularly known as PUBG, experts believe that online games, if played for a healthy amount of time, can have a lot of health benefits.
Below are the benefits of online gaming by Dr. Parul Tank, Consultant Psychiatrist, Fortis Hospital, Mulund, as cited by Latest website:
- Playing games with multiple segments can help improve the cognitive functions of an individual, as gaming requires various mental and physical processes to function at the same time which is a great exercise.
- Gaming can be a great exercise for the eyes and head. It as well improves the sharpness of various sensory organs.
- Online gaming can be an excellent exercise for brain since it requires quick-thinking skills and helps to make gamer sharper.
- Online gaming helps a gamer improve problem-solving skills giving the brain a great workout.
- It helps in decreasing probabilities of anxiety attacks as it is known to calm anxiety and behavior.
According to LatestLy, Dr. Parul further explains that the positive effects of gaming are subjected to the games that you play. Games that have sexually explicit and violent content tend to have more negative than positive effects.
However, if you feel that your love for online games is turning into addictions below are a few signs to watch out for as suggested by Dr. Parul Tank, Consultant Psychiatrist, Fortis Hospital, Mulund.
Signs of Gaming Addiction
- Thinking fanatically about playing the game while doing some other work
- Being mendacious about the amount of time spent gaming
- Putting in more and more time to get the same levels of pleasure from gaming
- Paying no attention to responsibilities and obligations to work, family, health, and finances over compulsive gaming
- After feeling shame or humiliation about time spent gaming, the player may turn tightlipped about the activity
- Spending a lot of money on computer upgrades and gaming consoles
Nevertheless, it is necessary to balance your mental and physical health, and not get addicted to gaming.